Valentino Rossi won a dramatic Dutch MotoGP at Assen, his first victory of the 2017 season and 115th of his career.
Rossi just held off countryman Danilo Petrucci as rain drops fell in the final third of the race. Petrucci was gutted to be held up slightly by backmarkers.
Behind them Marc Marquez narrowly beat Cal Crutchlow and Andrea Dovizioso in a thrilling last-lap battle for third.
Pole sitter Johann Zarco led the early stages, using soft tyres front and rear, before Rossi moved ahead. Zarco then dropped to the back of the lead group when he made contact with Rossi during an attempt to retake the lead.
The Frenchman later made an ill-fated gamble to swap bikes when the rain drops began falling, then received a penalty for speeding in pit lane.
Maverick Vinales lost the title lead after falling at the final chicane and is now four points behind Dovizioso – eleven points covering the top four in the standings!
Alex Rins was returning to action for Suzuki after missing the last five races due to a fractured wrist in Austin. Bradley Smith was back for KTM after a finger injury ruled him out of the Catalunya race.
This year’s Dutch TT race day is the first to be held on a Sunday…
1. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 41m 41.149s
2. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP17) 41m 41.212s
3. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 41m 46.350s
4. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 41m 46.392s
5. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 41m 46.476s
6. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 42m 4.539s
7. Karel Abraham CZE Pull&Bear Aspar Team (Desmosedici GP15) 42m 18.131s
8. Loris Baz FRA Reale Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP15) 42m 18.207s
9. Andrea Iannone ITA Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 42m 18.315s
10. Aleix Espargaro ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 42m 43.078s
11. Pol Espargaro ESP Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) 42m 50.533s
12. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 42m 51.270s
13. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 42m 51.493s
14. Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)* 43m 16.804s
15. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) +1 lap
16. Hector Barbera ESP Reale Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP16) +1 lap
17. Alex Rins ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* +1 lap
Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP16) DNF
Alvaro Bautista ESP Pull&Bear Aspar Team (Desmosedici GP16) DNF
Bradley Smith GBR Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) DNF
Maverick Viñales ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) DNF
Jonas Folger GER Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)* DNF
Sam Lowes GBR Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)* DNF